Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Baby it's cold outside

Excuse me but this is Florida and tonight the temperature is expected to drop down to around twenty degrees. Twenty degrees is below freezing, and for the mathematically challenged that is twelve degrees below freezing!! What is going on here; is this part of the global warming everyone is talking about? I moved south from the northeast part of these great United States to get warm. Twenty degrees is NOT warm!!

I am sitting in front of my computer writing this and I am cold. In Florida HVAC systems are all about air conditioning not heating. Yes the summers are hot in Florida but I remember a bunch of sweating going on when I lived in Delaware and New York. For my geographically challenged readers, that is in the northern part of the States. Heating in homes in this part of the country is mostly done by heat coils, not gas or oil which is much more efficient. We won't even start down that road.

This morning before going to work I had to scrape the frost off the windshield of mine and my wife's cars. I had to wear a leather jacket, gloves and a hat to keep from freezing. Yea, I know it was -20 degrees in Minnesota but this is Florida and if I wanted snowmen, skating on the pool and skiing I would live in Maine or Canada or some other Yankee land.

Traveling to work this morning I noticed the usual palm trees, green grass, colorful flowers but they were all covered with ice. No it didn't rain but the sprinklers were on as they normally are to keep the beautiful Florida flowers and grass growing as they usually do in Florida in February. Exception to that rule of course is my lawn which you can read about in a prior blog.

This is an area where many "snowbirds" come to in the winter from the northern part of the states to get warm. Maybe going from -20 to 20 degrees is considered getting warm but it doesn't work for me. I am use to winter lasting for about two weeks in January and then getting the pool ready for the grand kids. Well, I guess it is time to get into bed and get under the covers and dream about warm weather. The weather report for the weekend is temps going into the sixties. Hopefully there is enough Yankee in me to hold out for two more days. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment