Monday, January 26, 2009

Growing grass

I just finished reading my daughters latest blog and it was great. She wrote about how she is doing in school, struggles with her teenags children, her husband supporting her, and homeschooling her youngest daughter. Reading about her strengths and growth through all these struggles got me to thinking about an issue i have been pondering lately, and what to do about it.

The issue is in the title of this blog and it is a serious issue for an old guy. I moved to Florida five years ago and i can not get grass to grow in my front yard no matter what i do. Now i realize that grass is not native to Florida but that is no excuse. When we lived in Delaware we had a really nice lawn, which was dandelion free, i might add. Living here i have tried different seeds, fertilizer, you name it and all i get is fire ants. Now that is a whole 'nuther story for a separate blog. I would be happy if the weeds would grow so at least there would be some green out front.

In the cracks in the driveway weeds grow. Where i have nice sago palms and fan palms weeds grow. Between the bricks leading up to the motorcycle shed what do you think i see? Weeds and fire ants! But do you want to know what the worst insult is? Well I'm going to tell you anyway. I pointed something out to my wife the other day that has been infuriating me for quite some time. Every day I travel over the Mid Bay bridge which is three and a half miles long over the Choctawhatchee Bay with a beautiful view. When i go over it in the morning i see the sunrise to my left. Traveling homw in the evening i see the sunset to my left. OK which direction am i heading?

Sorry, i got a little sidetracked. Anyway, traveling over this bridge seeing these beautiful sights; rainbows, sunsets, sunrises, sailboats and i haven't even mentioned riding over on the Roadie, but i digress. The other morning while traveling toward Destin, along with seeing pelicans and seagulls hovering along the side of the bridge, beautiful white clouds above and an oil barge below, what do i see? Grass growing in the expansion joints along the length of the bridge. Now Kim thought this was quite amusing but i was not amused. Think about this for a moment, it's got to be better that thinking about problematic teenagers or the current economy. Grass is growing in steel strips along a three and a half mile bridge many feet above a very large body of water.

I doubt that anyone sowed the seed. I can't imagine anyone fertilizing it. OK God does provide some watering but doesn't that apply to my lawn also. Where is the justice in the world of lawns? Do i need to build over a body of water? These are thoughts worth pondering to me. It helps to keep my mind off all the other STUFF going on in this world today. It also reminds me that no matter what happens around us, God is still in control and He will make the grass grow wherever He decides. Trust in Him alone!

2 comments:

  1. Oh daddy, i read this out loud to the kids and we were all laughing!! I love the way you write and Matt says that his mind ponders on the same kind of things that yours does. Isn't it funny how God shows us that He can grow things in even the ungrowable places while we worry about growing things in our own strength and wisdom. Keep blogging!! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my RB..Just a quick response to this delightful blog entry. I STILL find it quite amusing!! And just think, less grass, less mowing!
    Luv you!
    Me

    ReplyDelete